Terror in Munich: Live Updates on Multiple Shootings
Update: 9:10PM ET
Germany authorities have confirmed that there was one assailant in today’s shootings, an 18 year old man with dual Iranian and German citizenship.
As of now, authorities are uncertain of the shooter’s motives, though there have been reports that the individual shouted anti-foreigner epithets. In total the individual killed 9 people and injured at least 21 before taking his own life.
That’s it for today’s rolling coverage. The Tap will have more as details emerge in Munich over the coming days.
Update: 5:45PM ET
A witness has told a local media outlet that one gunman shouted anti-foreigner slurs before opening fire.
Authorities have updated the number of fatalities to 9, which may include one of the attack’s perpetrators who died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Additionally, authorities are requesting that individuals with relevant photos and videos of the attack should send them to the police instead of posting them online,
Update: 4:34PM ET
Authorities have revised the number of fatalities to 8.
Appearing at the United Nations in New York City, British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson provided the following statement:
Everybody is shocked and saddened by what has taken place. Our thoughts are very much with the victims, their families, with the people of Munich, and the people of Germany more widely.
If, as seems very likely, this is another terrorist incident, then I think it proves once again that we have a global phenomenon now and a global sickness that we have to tackle both at source – in the areas where the cancer is being incubated in the middle east – and also of course around the world.
Authorities are yet to identify the motive or background of the perpetrator(s) of today’s shooting.
Update: 3:24PM ET
Local media outlets are now reporting that at least one of the shooters has died from self-inflicted gun shot wounds.
— Sky News (@SkyNews) July 22, 2016
Update: 3:09PM ET
US President Barack Obama has issued a pledge of support for Germany:
We don’t yet know exactly what’s happening there, but obviously our hearts go out to those who may have been injured. We are going to pledge all the support they may need.
Update: 2:32PM ET
Authorities are requesting that social media users refrain from posting video/photo of police operations so as to not help the perpetrator(s). The US consulate in Munich has issued an emergency message to US citizens advising them to seek shelter. The city of Munich has declared a state of emergency and has urged citizens to remain indoors.
Update: 2:18PM ET
Unconfirmed witness reports indicate three gunmen active in the area near the Olympia shopping centre in Munich. Authorities now confirm at least 6 dead.
Reports are coming in from Munich, Germany, where an undisclosed number of gunmen have opened fire at multiple locations.
Authorities have confirmed three dead so far. Current unconfirmed reports indicate the locations of the shootings to be Karlsplatz, Stachus, and Odeonplatz.
A police spokesperson has said issued the following statement:
We believe there was more than one perpetrator. The first reports came at 6 pm, the shooting apparently began at a McDonald’s in the shopping centre. There are still people in the shopping centre. We are trying to get the people out and take care of them.
Authorities have informed Munich residents to avoid public areas.
The Tap will issue updates as further details emerge.